Dave Carney 9/1/2021
What’s on the table today?: UPDATED Odds: Mac Jones & Cam Newton for ROY, MVP and more
The surprising move by the Patriots on Tuesday releasing Cam Newton has completely upended the betting odds for this years’ NFL MVP, Rookie of the Year, and other player props in what was considered a SHOCK by many NFL analysts and odds makers.
Trevor Lawrence and Trey Lance were the top two players by odds to win the Offensive ROY, until yesterday when all of that changed. Mac Jones was never seriously considered to be in the running to start the season for the Pats, but now that he’s been named “the guy” he’s also seeing his MVP odds ratchet up too.
Cam Newton, while never seriously considered an MVP candidate did still have what some would think as an “outside” chance to do, but that of course is all over now as well.
- Jones jumped from +1000 at Caesars Sportsbook to a +500 second favorite behind Trevor Lawrence (+325) to win NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year honors.
- Prior to the release of Newton, Jones was listed at +25000 (250-to-1) to win the NFL MVP award at BetMGM. Currently, Jones sits at +8000 (80-to1). This leaves Jones with the same odds as fellow quarterbacks Derek Carr, Carson Wentz, Jalen Hurts and Trevor Lawrence.
- Jones also saw significant movement in the regular-season stats leaders market. He currently sits at +5000 (50-to-1) to lead the league in passing yards, a sharp change from his previous +20000 odds (200-to-1). The touchdown passes and interceptions thrown markets saw a similar change. Jones went from +20000 (200-to-1) to +4000 (40-to-1) to lead the league in touchdown passes. He went from +8000 (80-to-1) to +2500 (25-to-1) to lead the league in interceptions.
- Newton has gone from +8000 (80-to-1) to +20000 (200-to-1) to win the MVP award this season. Thankfully, not too many people are negatively impacted as only 0.1% of the tickets and 0.03% of the betting handle was on Newton to win the MVP.
- Additionally, Newton has come crashing down in the stat leaders market. He went from +5000 (50-to-1) to +50000 (500-to-1) to lead the league in passing yards. Newton has gone from +4000 (40-to-1) to +20000 (200-to-1) to lead the league in touchdown passes. His odds have shifted from +2500 (25-to-1) to +10000 (100-to-1) to lead the league in interceptions.