Dave Carney 4/9/2021
What’s on the table today?: Masters betting tips & biggest underdogs to ever win at Augusta
Today I wanted to take a look at the biggest betting underdogs to win a Masters tournament, as well as give you a couple of tips on how to bet the Masters if you were so inclined.
Since my “mastery” of golf is definitely lacking, I needed a lot of help in finding the info I desired, which is why a BIG thanks goes out to a wonderful UK sports betting website (Gambling.com) for their awesome research on the subject.
First, we’ll begin with this; The Masters: A Brief History
The Masters was started by amateur champion Bobby Jones and investment banker Clifford Roberts who both banded together to build the course, which opened in 1932.
The tournament was first played in 1934 and became immeasurably popular quite quickly, due to Jones’ popularity and connections within the game.
The first Masters golf tournament began on March 22nd 1934 and as of 1940 it was scheduled to take place every year during the first full week of April.
Now, let’s take a look at; Masters Betting Tips:
- Seek Strong Par 5 Players | If you are selecting a tournament winner try to focus on big hitters that do particularly well on par 5s. Most US Masters winners have played the par 5s in -9 under par.
- Look for Draw Ball Naturals | Due to the way that Augusta is laid out, the course suits golfers that can curve the ball effectively from right to left. Plenty of fairways are doglegs in this regard, so golfers who naturally draw the ball tend to be at an advantage, something often included in US Masters golf betting tips.
- Stay Away From the Defending Champ | Defending the green jacket is virtually unheard of at The Masters, which may seem surprising considering that 17 golfers have won the tournament more than once. Only three top professionals have managed to retain their title – Jack Nicklaus, Nick Faldo and Tiger Woods.
And finally who are the biggest betting underdogs to win at Augusta (at least that I could find)?
- Trevor Immelman +15000 (150/1) 2008
- Zach Johnson +12500 (125/1) 2007
- Angel Cabrera +12500 (125/1) 2009
- Charl Schwartzel +10000 (100/1) 2007
Since Schwartzel’s victory, the highest odds carried by a Masters champion has been +5000 (50/1), by Bubba Watson in 2012 and Danny Willett in 2016.
Thanks again to Gambling.com for the fantastic research and hope you enjoy a fun (and perhaps) profitable Masters 2021!
**For more info on TOTAL plays, OVER/UNDER, and PLUS/MINUS plays, TEASER cards and more, check back through some previous columns for detailed information**
REMEMBER – don’t bet based upon my recommendations. Do your research. Stay in your lane